Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spirited Away (2001) - Review



I’m still a newbie when it comes to Miyazaki, having only seen Howl’s Moving Castle and today’s review.  I know, I know, I’m missing a ton of classics, and I DO plan on seeing them at some point.

Because let’s be honest: even having only seen these two movies, I can tell that what Miyazaki does is something special.  As much as I adore Evangelion, even it can’t cram so much emotion and expression into a single frame as a Miyazaki film.
 
I’m not even going to try to explain this film’s plot – there would be no point.  The movie is drenched in symbolism and insane (and at times, quite creepy, much like Howl’s Moving Castle) imagery and I haven’t seen this enough to do a real analysis.

I don't get it either, just roll with it
I don’t know what exactly it is about Miyazaki movies that are so enthralling but the way that he is able to infuse so much emotion into character design and nuanced animation never ceases to amaze me.  This amazing direction is bolstered by a very good dub and fun characters, although not quite as good as How’s Moving Castle’s.  In regards to Howl, I feel like this is not only a more complicated experience, but also one that doesn’t quite resonate with me in the same way.

If you’re only going to watch one Miyazaki movie, I’d say make it Howl’s Moving Castle.  But... if you like what you see, then give Spirited Away a watch because it’s an interesting, charming, and occasionally intense experience that’s quite unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.



No comments: