Monday, March 16, 2015

TiMER (2009) - Review



This might come as a shock to you, but I love Buffy.  I love just about everything about it, including its excellent cast.  I love Emma Caulfield.  She’s cute and funny and adorable.  That’s the only reason I watched TiMER on Netflix.  Let it be known, Emma Caulfield sells tickets!  Put her in more movies (and better ones than Darkness Falls).

TiMER is one of those weird, high-concept movies that just presents you with this bizarre conceit and asks you to roll with it.  In this case, it’s a matchmaking device that can predict with accuracy exactly when you’ll meet your soulmate.  It’s an interesting premise, but not one that really makes sense.  Kind of like any time travel movie where it says “we know time travel isn’t possible, but just go with us for a minute, the rest of the science will make some semblance of sense).

You're not gonna do better than Xander, babe.
Without giving too much away, because this IS a movie worth seeing, this is a surprisingly poignant tale about doomed romances.  What would you do if these actually existed?  If you and your loved ones got timers, and you found out that you were dating or married to the wrong person?  Would you still try to make it work or would you submit to fate?

I personally don’t believe in fate, nor concede to the idea that such timers are possible, but it does pose an interesting question.  Just how foolproof are these things?  I like to think that I would say “Fate be damned, I want what I want” but I don’t know.

But it’s just cool that this movie got me thinking even that much.  Asides from those core questions, there’s some really sad and funny stuff littered throughout this otherwise typical rom-com.  It’s definitely better than the more standard fare, and come on, Anya being nice is weird and cool to see.



No comments: