Monday, February 16, 2015

Erik the Viking (1989) - Review


Erik the Viking is a fairly poorly made TV movie that serves as a decent intro course to Norse mythology.  If you have an interest in mythology or are just a really really huge Tim Robbins fan, then I guess it’s worth a shot.  I’m don’t really fall into either category, so I can tell you that this movie isn’t really for me.

The biggest flaw in this film, besides its expectedly horrible production values, is the confused tone.  You can tell that it desperately wants to be Monty Python, but just doesn’t have the screenwriting to back this up.  As for me... I’m not even a fan of real Monty Python, much less a third-rate knockoff.

And that’s kind of it.

Don't look so offended, Tim.  You're still a good actor.
I don’t have a lot to say about this because it really is that simple.  Honestly, I’d just pick up a cheap Intro to Norse Mythology textbook if you’re interested in the subject (or take a free class on Coursera or some site like it that provides free online classes) instead of this movie.

It’s not very funny even when it’s trying to be, and you won’t remember it when it’s done.  Like most films that aren’t good or bad, it lies in that black area known as the void – the space your brain checks when it needs to delete unimportant memories.



No comments: