Monday, May 28, 2012

This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - Review


I have surprisingly little to say about this. I like Rob Reiner; he's directed a few of my favorite movies, including The Sure Thing and The Princess Bride. Plus, he's in Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star, one of the greatest cinematic achievements of our time. He does a really good job with the whole mockumentary style; it's played ridiculously enough to be funny (most of the time), but subtle enough to inject a very slight sense of realism and character into the band and its members.

Speaking of the band members, they're all very funny.  The only one I really recognized was Michael McKean (from the 90s Brady Bunch movie, mostly) but they're all solid actors, surprisingly enough.  They're natural while also being over-the-top and funny, providing a nice balance.

So... yeah, that's kind of all I've got for this one.  It's no classic really.  I couldn't see myself watching it over and over.  But hey, it's pretty funny.


No comments: